Sharing my passion for handcrafted jewelry, paper making, and living a creative life.

Monday, June 27, 2011

The Joys and Frustration of Melted Wax

I have been working with encaustics (beeswax, damar resin and pigment) for less than a year.  I've completed pieces that literally had me jumping for joy and I also have mounds of wax 'mud' that I've scraped off boards after hours of frustration only to find myself there again, hours later, with another pile of mud...and anxious to try again!

I am so amazed by artists who have such perfect control over their work with encaustics.  I am self taught, or more accurately, I am self-teaching, and it's a struggle.  Books are great but nothing beats watching an accomplished artist manipulate their medium in person.  I'll be keeping my eyes open for a workshop soon.  Until that happens, I'm on my own.

Stormy Weather on Francois Lake
 Armed with a fresh supply of encaustic paints, I finished this painting yesterday for a friend's birthday. 

5 comments:

  1. Liz, I hope it was worth your frustration because I certainly think it was! I swear I can hear the water churninng in the lake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think classes would ruin you. ha ha. I LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stop playing! This is perfect!!!!! Continue to do you! You got it!!!! xoxo Lovey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I really appreciate your comments. I know that there's a fine line between learning techniques from other artists and staying true to your own style. Striving for both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For those of us who are land locked, having artwork like yours inspired by the water is the next best thing!
    (And, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave comments. It means a lot to me.